Pages

welcome to the deko and posh blog

Hey V.I.T.'s (very important tweens and teens) Deko and Posh here. Our blog is a view of all the news happening around the world that effects us. We find the Top Stories of the Day and we post them for you to read. We would like your input on all these issues we face today as tweens and teens. Nothing is off limits. If you want us to discuss something leave us a comment or send us an email at deko@dekoposh.com or posh@dekoposh.com.

Our Mission: To empower all V.I.T.s to make positive changes today for a better tomorrow by volunteering, giving back, becoming leaders and teaching others to do the same.

Our Blog is all about Tops Stories of the Day, Fashion, Design, Volunteering, Charities, and how all these topic's effect us. And in our store online and in person you will find all your must have's by color. Yes, that's right we have color coordinated our entire store because everyone has a favorite color. Be sure to explore the colors at dekoposh at www.dekoposh.com.


Nominate a Tween or Teen for the D.A.P.L Award

D.A.P.L.
Driven and Passionate Leaders

Nominate a Tween or Teen that is making a difference
D.A.P.L. (Deko and Posh) here...We are going to be highlighting tweens and teens every month on making a difference either through volunteering, awards, activities, and/or making a difference. Here are the rules, you can nominate yourself or someone can nominate a V.I.T., the tween or teen must be between the ages of 8-19, an essay and/or write-up about yourself or the person you are nominating must be emailed to us at info@dekoposh.com, we need the full name-age-gender-and location (address not necessary just city, state), please tell us all you can so we can make our choices. We look forward to hearing about what all our V.I.T.s (very important tween & teens) are doing to make a difference.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Daily Good Gossip

Bella Thorne Opens Up About Dyslexia And Being Bullied
Bella Thorne

Being a celeb might seem like all glitz and glamour, but the stars struggle with social issues just like everyone else. We chatted with Disney Channel's Shake It Up leading lady Bella Thorne about the hardships of being a young person and what's she doing about it!

DoSomething.org: What made you want to get involved with DoSomething.org's recent Scavenger Hunt and the fight for social change?

Bella Thorne: I want to be more involved in my community and thought this was a way I could make a statement. I tweet a lot and this was something that was truly positive that I could tweet about. I also get so many tweets from kids like myself who have suffered from bullying and I wanted them to understand that they are really not alone.

DS: You've talked about your experience with bullying in the past. And what advice can you give to others?

BT: I have been bullied for different reasons. I was bullied for …speaking a different language. I was also made fun of and humiliated for my lack of reading skills. I am dyslexic but I wasn't aware of that at the time. I was called really hurtful names and… it was tough going to school every day.

I would say that you need to talk to a teacher or parent and follow their advice. I'd also like to say that someone else's opinion of you doesn't define you. That's what my mom taught me.

DS: How has dyslexia impacted your life?

BT: I have learned to live with it and make the best of it. I read all the time. When I was diagnosed with dyslexia, I was told to read everything from street signs to cereal boxes and that my mom shouldn't read the menu for me. I should read it to her! It has helped a great deal. I am reading well but it is something I work on every day.

DS: What is it like being a young celebrity? If you could spend one day as a normal teenager attending high school instead of filming a show, what would you do?

BT: Being a young celebrity has its good side like meeting new and fun people all the time but it has its downsides too. Everyone watches everything you do and you are criticized in front of millions of people. At the end of the day, we are still kids and kids make mistakes; it's part of learning and growing up. If I was spending a normal day in high school, I'd try out for the cheerleading team, eat lunch in the cafeteria and get to design my school locker!

DS: What has it been like with your friends and family since working on the Disney Channel?

BT: Working on the Disney Channel is like being part of a big family. Sometimes it is hard on my friends because I can't just go anywhere without taking precautions. Sometimes security is needed and the majority of my friends are not famous so they don't always understand. They love me though so they are working through it.

DS: In your Scavanger Hunt video, you talk about your first language being Spanish but you've since forgotten most of it. Do you ever wish you could re-learn it?

BT: I do want to re-learn Spanish. I want to have a Quinceanera and honor my dad. I know he would want me to celebrate my Cuban heritage if he were still alive. I do think that learning and being exposed to multiple languages has helped me become the person I am.

DS: Is bullying the cause that you are most passionate about, or are you interested in other issues as well? How would you like to change the world?

BT: At the moment, I am very passionate about taking a stand on bullying because it is something I can relate to and that my fans and friends suffer from. I do have other issues that I'd like to help out such as stopping child trafficking, child abuse, animal abuse and learning disabilities.

DS: Biggest celebrity crush. Go.

BT: Ian Somerhalder.

Source: celebsgonegood.org

No comments: